Monday, January 23, 2012

My Inspiration

It was toward the end of my senior year in High School and I was still unsure as to what I wanted to do with the rest of my life. I enjoyed many subjects and to decide on just one path at this time for me was an unsettling topic. I always had a passion for learning new facts, and thanks to my step-father exercise and nutrition were a large part of my life.
I was part of the Varsity Wrestling team at my High School, as well as the teams Captain. My coach that I had was an extremely dedicated individual. He was truly the first person to understand the way in which I thought and learned. He was an individual that expected nothing but respect and determination, and in return he would give the same. I have a father and a step-father, but I would say that he has had almost an equal influence on me as they have. The stories that he would tell me about determination, and over coming obstacles have stood with me all this time. Now as a coach I find myself telling my athletes these same ideas and principles, because I am hoping that these words of wisdom will do the same for them as it has done for me. My senior year of High School I became a Sectional Champion. I remember right after I won I walked over to my coach and said "thank you." This was because he took the time to work with me, staying after practice and coming in before practice to teach with me one on one. His name is Chris VanGorden, and I am truly grateful for the time he took to inspire and teach me. So this is why I decided to get into the field of Physical Education, because I wanted to do the same as he had done for me to others.
So my High School coach was the reason I went into Physical Education, but it was not until I came to Cortland that I learned the true meaning of being a teacher! My first teaching class was when I was introduced to the professor that changed my life. I did not know much about teaching students, and I was quite shy while doing so. He did not give up on me and dismiss me as many people have done in the past, just thinking I was a "brainless jock." He saw in me the potential that I honestly had not yet seen. He worked with me and explained to me the tools that would help me become a successful teacher. I would say that he is the second person in all my years of schooling to understand how I think and learn. This individual is the reason why I am Physical Educator and not just a "gym teacher." His name is Dr. Stephen Yang, and I will always be grateful for what he has done for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment