Monday, February 6, 2012

Pride

Taken From
http://blog.syracuse.com/news/2008/07/
large_chiefs%20logo.jpg
This past winter I have been the Assistant Head Coach of the Southern Cayuga High School Wrestling team. This was the first real position I have held within teaching that carried with it a responsibility on this level. Throughout my time at Southern Cayuga I feel as though I have developed as a teacher, and most importantly I feel as though I have impacted the students for the better. I feel as though I have helped them to become better individuals, as well as more effective wrestlers.
I remember when Rich(the Head Coach) asked me to assist him with the team. I was somewhat hesitant, but I recognized the great opportunity this was for me. Not in the sense of having another "resume builder," but to help others, and to teach something I have such a passion for. At first when I began to coach I was somewhat timid, because of the time it takes me to acclimate to new environments, but over time this timidness dissipated. Rich helped me to develop my coaching ability, and how to better convey my knowledge of wrestling to the students. I would have to say their is no better feeling in the world thus far, then watching a student put to use the skills that you have taught them. I can almost pinpoint that moment in time when the student understands the meaning of your teachings, and how to apply it. I like to refer to this as the "ping effect." I had this happen a few weeks ago with the light-heavy weight wrestler I have been coaching. I worked with him one on one the days prior to a big tournament, trying to teach him new skills specific to the heavy-weight style of wrestling. (This reminded me of how my coach worked with me weeks prior to sectionals.) When he had wrestled in previous matches his style was more similar to that of a light-weight, and in turn this hindered him. The day of the tournament arrived, and before he wrestled I kept quizzing him on scenarios, and what to do during certain situations. He answered correctly all the questions I asked. The time then came to see if he could apply this knowledge on the mat. He went out and wrestled, looking like a totally different individual. He applied every skill that I had taught him in all his matches, finishing second at a varsity tournament, only being a freshman. Watching this student wrestle made me so proud, not only having the assurance that my coaching ability was sound, but knowing that I had helped him to find a confidence in himself to ascend to that "next level" in wrestling.
This type of experience makes me look forward to the rest of my teaching career. I hope that my teaching can make a difference in all my students, like I have done so with my wrestlers. To succeed in doing this is my promise!  
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment